Stay tuned, Stay updated

What Happened to Melissa Gilbert? Concerns Mount as ‘Little House on the Prairie’ Star Rushed to ER Over Severe Cellulitis from Bug Bite

3 min read
Melissa Gilbert

Roy Rochlin/Getty Images


A bite from an insect led ‘Little House on the Prairie’ star Melissa Gilbert, 59, to spend Thursday night in a New York City hospital’s emergency room. An unidentified insect bit the ‘Safe Harbor’ star, causing abscess and cellulitis. After leaving Hollywood for a modest life in Catskills, New York, Gilbert posted two images on Instagram along with a long caption describing her symptoms. One of her images shows a patch of swollen skin, while the other shows an IV being inserted. Gilbert described her “fun night in the ER” in the caption, praising the doctor at Skin Care Lab and her husband Timothy Busfield for suggesting they take the train to the hospital.

She began her post by saying, “A Public Service Announcement,” followed by, “Well that was a fun night in the ER (she said with dripping sarcasm).” Friends and fans alike expressed concerns after Gilbert posted her health update. Despite being so sorry for what happened, Alison Martino offered excellent advice. It is important to take it very seriously when this happens. I hope you are resting well.” Tony Award-winning actress Donna Murphy replied, “REST & HEAL MAMA! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.


Is Melissa Gilbert Doing Well? After Contracting Cellulitis From A Bug Bite, ‘Little House On The Prairie’ Star Spends The Night In The Emergency Room

Melissa Gilbert disclosed that a scary bug bite sent her to the ER. After a bug bit her in New York, the actress shared on Instagram that she was rushed to the hospital with a swollen arm. Gilbert revealed that the bite was not caused by a “bee or wasp,” but rather by another “flying insect.” Gilbert’s doctors and husband urged her to get to the ER as soon as possible. This is a Public Service Announcement (she said with sarcasm), Gilbert captioned the photo of her hand in an IV and her swollen arm. Two days ago, I got bitten by a flying insect (not a bee or wasp). I had a very swollen, red, and hot arm by last night. According to her, “I called my doctor, who recommended we head to the emergency room right away. I planned on waiting, but Timothy said, “We’re going! The abscess and cellulitis were diagnosed after a series of tests. Cellulitis infection is a common and potentially serious bacterial skin infection, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Swollen and inflamed skin is typically painful and warm to the touch. An “IV of clindamycin, Benedryl, and acetaminophen” was given to Gilbert by her doctors, which she said made the infected area feel better “immediately.” The pain still kept her up, she said. She has begun taking antibiotics, Benedryl, and ibuprofen orally today. She urged her social media followers to take bug bites seriously by using her case as an example. Taking bug bites seriously is the lesson! It’s not a bite if it swells up like crazy (my whole upper arm swelled!). Get treated as soon as you notice it. Do you know how bad it can get? Call your doctor, go to an urgent care center, or go to the emergency room. It’s serious! she continued. #lauraingallswilder would have died or been amputation if this had happened back then. There are treatments available. I’m taking my meds now and resting like a good bunny. Gilbert thanked the staff at Bon Secours hospital in Port Jervis, NY for treating the bug bite.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *